Shooting the Chute

Usually when one hikes up the strenuous Falls Creek Trail near River Falls in northern Greenville County it's to see Falls Creek Falls, a must visit waterfall in Jones Gap State Park. I've been there a number of times, and it's always a pleasure to visit, except for the difficulty making the climb. This time I came to hike Falls Creek Trail to visit a number of rarely visited smaller waterfalls, the last one being Chute Falls, all reachable by spur paths from the main trail.

The parking area, just beyond Palmetto Bible Camp, has room for only two or three cars, but a limited amount of space is available off one side the road for a few more cars.
Before heading up the trail, I had to visit the dam for Trammel Lake. While not a waterfall, the stone dam does make for a good photo when the water is flowing nicely.
The trail by kiosk is one of the easiest parts of the trail.
The entire trail, except near Falls Creek Falls, once was a logging road. This is the steepest part, is rather eroded, and a is bit slick with the recent rains.
The more observant will spot partially overgrown old logging roads, and other spur trails, that branch off the main trail. The trail is blazed purple, so if you're purpose is to visit Falls Creek Falls then pay attention for the purple blazes.
The first waterfall I visited was on Little Falls Creek, which soon enough feeds into Falls Creek. Before the trail crosses Little Falls Creek, an old logging road heads toward a neat, twisty waterfall a short distance uphill. I turned onto the old road heading toward the sound of rushing water.
The turn onto old logging road can be hard to spot from the trail if you don't already know where to look. Fortunately, on the other side of the turn is a private property sign that's easy to spot. Just turn right uphill when you see the sign for the private path on the left.
The waterfall on Little Falls Creek is in three sections. This is the less interesting lower section:
This is the more interesting middle section:
I took a lousy cell phone video here too:
Then the high section that continues up and beyond the top of the frame:
A foot path continues up the right hand side, but the view up there wasn't photogenic and getting there required a steep climb. No thanks this time.

Back down the main trail I crossed over Little Falls Creek.
I skipped past a tempting spur trail to turn down another old logging road. This one is blocked by branches, presumably to keep people from unintentionally straying.
I stepped over the branches and followed the old road until it ended. I could see a foot path on the other side of the creek. As I started crossing over the creek to follow that path, I noticed someone else must have been here recently.
Aside: It's interesting that a photo with my feet as the subject gets the most views by far in my trip albums. Hmm...

Anyway, I followed a path along creek right until this beauty:
From here, the terrain dictated I cross back over to head for Chute Falls, the last waterfall I intended to visit along this creek. I followed the creek, but on the return I found I could have taken a shorter path. Oh well.

Reaching Chute Falls wasn't difficult as bushwacks go, but I was disappointed the sun chose that moment to come out. Until then, the sky had remained cloudy, great for photographing waterfalls. Fortunately, I still managed a good shot of the waterfall.
I took a cell phone video here too:

Rather then head back the way I came, I headed uphill a short distance back to Falls Creek Trail and followed it back down to the parking area. I had intended to head down to the paved end of Oil Camp Creek Road to visit another waterfall, but it began to sprinkle as I approached the car. Then I as I drove back down River Falls Road is began to rain. I decided Oil Camp Creek Road could wait for another day.

I noticed two changes as I headed back down River Falls Road. The first was the roof collapsed on the old River Falls country store across the street from the River Falls Fire Department. I didn't take a photo because of the rain, but this is what the store looked like just last year:
I also noticed Tankersley Lake, near the intersection of River Falls Road and Devils Fork Road, is now filled with trees instead of water.
Another change I didn't notice (but should have) is the dilapidated "El Rooster" building that sat across the street from the Ingles just north of Travelers Rest is no more. I always meant to stop by to take some photos, but now it's too late.

I had a great time visiting some good looking waterfalls. I'm plotting another trip to some more waterfalls near a grist mill out in Oconee County in the few weeks as the fall colors finally start showing.

My photos from this trip are in the album Shooting the Chute - Oct 2018 on Google Photos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of Lake Summit

First visit to Andersonville Island

Forgotten Taylors railroad history: the P&N railroad