A Hike In The Eastatoe Creek Heritage Preserve

A return trip to Rocky Bottom has been on my radar since last year when I explored Rocky Bottom Creek. This time I wanted to explore Eastatoe Creek down to The Narrows on Eastatoe Creek. Fortunately, my vacation time coincided with good weather for a change and I made the hour or so trip to Rocky Bottom.

I parked in the Foothills Trail access parking area. I had to place to myself. From previous trips, I knew there was could have been an old logging road leading out the back of the parking area.
The old road leads downhill toward Eastatoe Creek. Good road! Except the road was taking a slight left curve toward private property. Bad road!
Continuing straight away from private property wasn't really an option since that was heading sharply downhill into a gorge and would require a way too steep uphill climb. I went to plan B and headed back to my car and went down Horse Pasture Road to the small parking area for the Eastatoe Creek Heritage Preserve. I parked off to the side to not block the gate.
In the map of my GPS trace below, you will notice I took a number of detours onto old logging roads to find an easy way down to Eastatoe Creek. That is, a way I would feel comfortable leading another hiker down. None of them met my conditions.

In exploring one abandoned logging road, I found what must have been a sign.
I kept going until the road seemingly ended. But then I noticed some wooden steps leading sharply downhill! I just had to follow.
I followed the steps down until the trail suggested turning a corner, but the trail was blocked by two trees that had fallen over. The first one was avoidable...
but the second one wasn't. I did climb around around it eventually, but I couldn't find the trail. I turned around, but I wanted to investigate the loud sound of rushing water. I bushwacked toward the sound, and my suspicions were rewarded!
Update: In 2004, Hurricane Ivan caused mudslides and tree damage in the area. The trail through Eastatoe Creek Heritage Preserve had to be rebuilt and partially rerouted. I suspect this is the reason the path through this area disappeared.
It's was a pretty one in person, but the tree limbs do not make for a good photo.

I made my way back up to where the old path began. I bushwacked my way up a ridge arm to get back to the main trail so I could see the Eastatoe Narrows. The trail makes a hard left to descend into the gorge. The old logging road continues, but I didn't have the time to investigate beyond more than a few feet.
By Eastatoe Creek, one path heads left to three campsites, the other heads to Eastatoe Narrow. I headed left to check out the campsites.
I found two items of interest besides the campsites such as this one...
The first was this cascade.
The second was this moss covered woman's hiking shoe:
It does make me wonder what the story is with this shoe. What's it doing here on a tree stump and where is its mate? And its owner?

I made my way back to the trail intersection and then back down the mail trail to the viewing platform. The view was nice, but I got a bit closer.
I didn't think I'd have time to find a way down to the creek, as it was getting darker, but I did explore a side trail leading to another waterfall just downstream of Eastatoe Narrows.
The rocks were wet and slippery. I carefully made my way down the bank for a more distant shot before I called it a day.
And a long day it was. When I made it back to my car it was almost dark. Fortunately, I had a flashlight me if it got too dark for me to see, and it in a few more minutes it would have been. I was still alone, and I had seen nobody else on the main trail all day.

My map shows my on and off trail wanderings:

And my complete trip photos are on an album on Google Photos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgotten Taylors railroad history: the P&N railroad

First visit to Andersonville Island

Exploring Lyman's Mill History