A park and a sawmill

Hospital memorials
Today I took a quick tour of two historic places near each other in Greenville, Herdklotz Park off Beverly Road, and Lawkin's Sawmill off Graves Drive.

Today I made a quick tour of two historic places near Greenville. First was Herdklotz Parklocated off of Beverly Road. I've been here before several times, but never before with my camera.

I knew the place used to be the site of a tuberculosis hospital, but this helpful sign fills provides more details:
History sign
In 1930, Hopewell Hospital was built to care for tuberculosis patients. The hospital closed in the early 1970s, becoming a correctional facility which also eventually closed. Most of the hospital burned down in 2001. Herdklotz Park opened on this site in 2007 with a granite memorial commemorating the site's past, and the original boiler room preserved but sealed behind the masonry.
Hospital foundation and memorial
While I was there, I also walked the short loop trails.
Field 1 loop trail Field #1 Field #2 loop trail
The picnic shelter was busy with a get together of some sort.
Shelter and bathrooms
I also took a few minutes to enjoy the one of the swings on the nice playground.
Playground
Next, I traveled over to Larkin's Sawmill.
The Sawmill at North Main sign
Larkin's Sawmill became a restaurant after a 2004 remodel.
The Sawmill at North Main - 1
But the kiln remains intact as a historical artifact.
Larkin's Sawmill - 1
An opening gave me an irresistible opportunity to peek inside.
Locked Inside the kiln
Didn't see much in there, except a stray cat that disappeared as soon it saw me. Sorry, cat. You can go back to your home now.

The afternoon was reserved for college football games, so it was time to head home. Seeing the kiln in person was a treat.

I shared these and other photos to a Flickr album and a Google Photos album.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of Lake Summit

First visit to Andersonville Island

South Carolina's Abandoned Railroads